Pages

Friday 25 February 2011

Critical Evaluation

Critical Evaluation


Designing


I chose the theme energy drinks so I could look at ergonomics and take form and shape into consideration. I kept my ideas fairly simple as I struggled to use pro/engineer. I think that a more complicated design would have been more aesthetically successful but taking into consideration my CAD skills I am pleased with my final design. If I had more time I would have used the rapid prototype machine to create an intricate speaker grill as the CNC couldn’t cut out my original design I used coral draw to create a circular pattern and drilled my speaker holes instead.

CAM


I decided I wanted to create a speaker using the CNC router as I have had no previous experience on the machine. Although I encountered a few set backs: the CNC wouldn’t drill my speaker grill slots and for some reason on my first attempt it drilled through a side of my design, I think that the CNC was definitely the best choice and I am really please with the final result.
I used the laser cutter to build up a base in acrylic. I sliced up my shape and built it up. Unfortunately, as I hadn't made a model first in card and was rushing to get my speaker finished I glued them the wrong way. Although I made another mistake when I went back and changed my design I added an inner rim to the base so it now slots on and I am able to open and close my speaker to change the battery which I wouldn’t have been able to do previously as I hadn't worked anything out in the designing stages.

CAD


When I started the SKE I had very little CAM knowledge and was totally incapable of using pro/engineer. Although I still struggle with the programme I will continue to experiment and use pro/engineer as I have enjoyed this project and I am pleased with the overall outcome. I would have liked to have learnt more but given the time scale and my lack of knowledge I appreciate why I haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment